The Queensland National Bank, launched by a group of Queensland pastorialist and merchants, opened its branch in Warwick on 7th September, 1875. The bank proved very popular with the farming community. This photograph shows the bank next to the Warwick Argus newspaper office. Warwick was the first town on the Darling Downs, established in 1849 on the banks of the Condamine River. The rich grazing land around the area supports horse and cattle studs, fine wool and grain. Warwick is situated 158km south west of Brisbane on the Cunningham Highway.