The major cemetery for 19th century Sydney, the Devonshire Street Cemetery was bounded by Elizabeth, Pitt and Devonshire streets – where Central Station now stands.
Consecrated in 1820, the cemetery filled quickly over the following decades. It was officially closed in 1867 and by the end of the century, the entire ground was overgrown and at night it was a dangerous place.
In January 1901 the government announced its intention to clear the cemetery to make way for Central Station. It is estimated that over 30,000 bodies had to be removed.
Text and images stolen from State Library of NSW. Apparently they have a podcast on Central's history.